03 December 2009

Broken Glasses

I work with a lot of fabulous people in the Special Collections. Every morning when I come in, I say "good morning!" to whoever got lucky enough to unlock the doors at 8:00am. Today, when I gave my cheerful greeting, he said, "I guess!" and I fired back (with my usual spunk), "Well, what's bad about it?" "What's good about it?!" And I started listing things off: "You're in a heated building, you have clothes on your back, you have glasses to help you see..." and he brought up how his glasses were broken, and I said, "Oh so-and-so, of course there are things that aren't perfect: but must everything be PERFECT for it to be good?"

The answer to that is: NO! Not everything has to be perfect for it to be good! I look at our car sometimes and think, "We could use a better car." But why? Sure, it sometimes smells funny because oil leaks on the exhaust pipe, the paint is chipped and peeling, our back window is made of duct tape and license plates, but it runs! It gets us to our families, it takes us to the Temple. It warms our hands and cheeks during the winter. Is it perfect? nope. does it work? YES! And so, it is good!

I guess I've been thinking about Bishop Burton's talk this past Tuesday, where he talked about being "glass half-full" kind of people. So, I'm determined to be just that...half FULL!

No comments: