I am in the middle of 2 books. (Ok, I'm in the middle of like 20 if you count my textbooks but I don't). And I just can't stand that. I like to read ONE and then FINISH it before starting another. I don't know why I succumbed to the madness of reading more than one book at a time, but I did. And the horrible thing is, I've suddenly lost interest in both of them and I want to start something else! The problem is, one of the books was my birthday present from Derek this last year. I FINALLY got time to start reading over Christmas break (at least I thought I did) and so I started, My Dearest Friend, which is the personal correspondence of Abigail and John Adams. Then I got a David McCullough book from my sister & brother-in law. Well, I wanted to read that too! I guess I just feel obligated to finish them, so that Derek doesn't feel like his gift was unappreciated and when Lori/Steve ask me about the book, I can give a good honest opinion of whether or not I liked it (though, since it's David McCullough, I'm SURE I will love it. So, only reading 3 chapters is probably sufficient).
Now I'm just in a complete mess and feel like crying about it. (which is also ridiculous). I don't know why it's such a big issue, but somehow, with all the stress of everything else in my life, it just...is. :( I need something romantic--something intriguing-- something light--like Jane Austen or Charles Dickens. I'm dying to re-read Hard Times, which I bought for $3 with my sell-back money. Or pick up Mansfield Park again, or finally read Persuasion! Call me a psycho, but Dickens and Austen, Hawthorne and Shakespeare--those are my comfy reads. (Somehow Harry Potter fits into that collection, too. Don't ask me how.) And I am moving beyond want and feeling the need for reading something that interests me in the moment.
So, friends...what do I do? Abandon both books that I previously began and start anew? Or force myself to finish them even though it will take ages because I'm bored/not interested at the moment?
I think I should ENJOY the book I'm reading for pleasure....what do you think?
2 comments:
I just finished Mansfield Park and LOVED it! Jane Austin gets me every time.
I know! She's fabulous. Great story, great characters, great writing--all around greatness.
Post a Comment