04 December 2009

The Grendel of our Age

Ok, I have found something I am morally opposed to that is said to become "all the rage." Amazon called it the "Hottest Gift of the Season." No Amazon- it is simply the newest thing to murder the beautiful experience of sitting down with a book on a cold winter's night, caressing the pages of literacy that give us power in this universe.

What is this horrible atrocity, you may ask?

It's called the Kindle, a hand-held electronic device on which you can upload books. It's nice and thin and so convenient! It only takes 60 seconds to get a book! LIES! A book is not a small piece of cold plastic and metal! It's a beautiful collection of pages and ink, pressed together to create another world in which to escape. It turns pages just like a real book! Once again, it does nothing of the sort. A screen displays a page turning, but your finger doesn't caress the edge, you cannot possibly feel the satisfaction of anxiously awaiting the next page, the next moment, the next scene within a beautiful reality that brings relief from the world. The Kindle is nothing more than a farce, like Communism, the devil's version of something beautiful. I cannot help but connect this horrid thing, Kindle, with the name of the long feared Grendel, the monstor of Beowulf, who has haunted the dreams of millions for millenia! Stay away from it! It will take a piece of your life!

I hate it. Mostly, I hate what it represents. The world is quickly retreating into technology, robbing us and future generations of the most beautiful experiences in life. Nothing can replace a tattered book, full of love and hours of enjoyment. It holds within its wrinkles and dogeared corners love and true devotion. How can you possibly say that you LOVE your Kindle? Where is the proof! Well, there is none! But books...ahh, you can love them. You can hold them, you can stick them in your purse or backpack and hold them, touch the pages, smudge the ink with your tears! It's a beautiful relationship, one that I say cannot be replaced with electronics.

Do not consider me an Amish snood who hides behind her butter churn and wash basin; no, I appreciate technology as quickly as Bill Gates does. But technology is meant to IMPROVE our lives! Not rob us of beautiful things! Elder Bednar spoke of the farce realities of the internet in his CES fireside in May of this year. I would submit to you that this is just another contribution to the evil of technology, taking away beautiful expereinces and making you believe you are getting something valuable.

My friends, take care. Don't rob yourself of a lovely expereince with the display of man's greatest invention! Embrace the pages and print of books and shun the false reality of a piece of metal that pretends to be something it is not!

2 comments:

Kaitlyn said...

i'm really really happy that you just compared the kindle to communism. best moment of my day.

Jen said...

hahaha, glad I could help. :)